The National School Support Services in collaboration with Euroguidance Malta, welcomed three career guidance practitoners from Sweden on a job shadowing experience held between the 25th and 29th March 2019.
The main purpose of this job shadowing project was to develop the practitoners’ professional skills and competences, in a lifelong learning perspective, especially when it comes to guidance towards the formal education system and labour market of other EU countries including career guidance towards disadvantaged individuals and groups.
Ms. Kristina Kvarnberg is a career counsellor who works with youth aged 16 – 20 years and who participates in further education. She also works with the NEETS group i.e. school dropouts, young immigrants and so on. Ms. Maria Malgeryd, works with adult education (over 20 years). Ms. Eva Maria Monell, works with students aged 13 – 16 in a secondary school.
The career guidance practitioners had the opportunity to visit various entities, departments and schools across Malta and Gozo.
Monday 25th March
- National School Support Services (Hamrun). Meeting with Ms Sandra Cortis (Director), Ms Lorraine Grech Aquilina (Education Officer Career Guidance), and Ms Norma Zammit, Mr Marlon Psaila, Ms Tania Giordmaina & Mr Alan Camilleri (Career Guidance Teachers).
- Malta College of Arts, Science & Technology (MCAST Paola). Meeting with Mr Robert Cassar (Career Advisor), and Ms Marthese Vassallo (Senior Counsellor).
Tuesday 26th March
- University of Malta (Tal-Qroqq). Meeting with Dr Manwel Debono (Senior Lecturer at the Centre for Labour Studies).
- Students Advisory Services, University of Malta (Tal-Qroqq). Meeting with Mr Noel Caruana (Student Advisor).
Wednesday 27th March
- Visit to Jobsplus Head Office (Hal Far). Overview of the services offered by the Public Employment Services (PES).
- Visit to the Sheltered Employment Training Centre (Msida). Overview of the services given to persons with disability.
Thursday 28th March
- Visit to Gozo College. Meeting with Mr Thomas Camilleri and Ms Rodianne Azzopardi (Career Advisors). Visit the guidance teams at the Middle and Senior Schools.
- Visit to Sannat Primary School Special Unit.
Friday 29th March
- I Choose Fair (Siggiewi Primary School). Visit to a National Careers Fair for Year 11 students.
- Visiting Year 10 students on the workplace during their career exposure experience.